Madison Reed Color Bar is fast + fabulous hair color, without the salon price tag.
The colorist app is for the Madison Reed color bars for the stylist to enter the client’s information while collecting inventory/product used.
MY ROLE: Lead Designer
After a round of interviews with colorists, we learned that there are multiple issues with the current version of the stylist app. The main issues found were:
- Color Advisor: not working for colorists
- Photos: Clients need more examples
- UX: Complicated flow and outdated
I was the lead designer on this project from ideation to implementation from September 2018 – January 2019.
In addition, I worked closely with 1 Product Manager and 3 engineers.
The app relaunched in all Color Bars in March 2019.
We want to empower the colorists to consistently deliver high-quality results by seamlessly giving them the right information.
Give the business relevant performance metrics and customer data.
To give the clients useful information.
After we gathered all of our research the next step was to conduct a 5-day design sprint.
After the explorations and our design sprint, we knew colorist needed to have:
- Consistent and accurate customer hair data using Machine Learning
- Better SLA data for labor efficiency tracking
- Tracking of customer’s desired result
- Standardized formula input
- From start to the timer in 3 clicks for returning customers
- Fast navigation for colorists within the app
- Answering color advisor replaced with a quick backie
- Product images to help customers pick a shade
- Full historic view of the client’s history
- Upsell core products within the appointment.
- Accurate charges for the extra product used in a service.
This project was a complete redesign not only just the visual UI design but the tech stack from Angular to React.
This was the beginning of the Color Bar UI System. We wanted to create a visual system that could work across all platforms, iOS, Android, and Web. The way I describe the direction is that iOS design had a baby with Material Design.